I made this recipe last night and was thinking that I should blog about it. Then I saw this blog challenge about Transcript and thought that this is the temporary thing that I can share and reflect upon.
As you can see the original recipe is looking old and is torn in half with a little bit missing but I love using the original recipe whenever I make this recipe. I always think of the story behind us having this recipe whenever I make it.
My husband first made this recipe just over 22 years ago. It was the first meal he made for us after we were married. I think it must have been on or about Monday 28 November, 1994; as it would have been when we went back to work after our honeymoon and I would have been on a late shift. As he was home first he cooked dinner. I believe he rang his Mum from work about the recipe and she wrote it out for him, then he picked it up on the way home.
I’ll share the original recipe below and then share how I normally make it now a days to be intolerance friendly.
The recipe as written out by my mother-in-law is as follows:
Place oil in saucepan & add mince, chopped onion, herbs, tomato paste & a little water & stir & cook for 15-20 mins.
Cook pasta in boiling water & cook for 10 mins.
1 tablespoon of butter melted mix in 1 tablespoon of flour & stir & then add 1 cup of milk & stir in & place in microwave oven for 2 mins then stir until thick & add grated cheese.
Mix sauce & pasta & then mince.
Somehow my husband managed to make this recipe despite the lack of quantities, not sure how many phone calls occurred during the making of the recipe. Here is the recipe as I normally make it now.
Mince & Pasta
- 1 tbsp oil
- 500g mince
- 1 onion chopped
- dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- a little water if needed
- chopped vegetables (optional, I often add zuchinni & mushrooms)
- GF pasta
- 1 tbsp butter or non-dairy substitute
- 1 tbsp corn flour or tapioca flour
- 1 cup of milk of choice (I often use almond milk)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- handful of grated cheese (if tolerated)
- 1 egg (optional, good to use if not using cheese
- Heat oil in frypan or saucepan. Add mince, chopped onion, chopped vegetables (if using). Stir until mince is a little browned.
- Add herbs, tomato paste & water if needed. Stir and leave to simmer while preparing pasta & the white sauce.
- Boil water and add GF pasta. Cook for about 6 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile make the white sauce. Melt the butter in a microwave prove dish. Stir in the flour and slowly stir in 1 cup of milk, add the nutmeg. Microwave for 2 minutes on high & stir. Repeat process until sauce is thick. Add the cheese or egg once thick and stir to combine.
- Mix the sauce into the pasta & and then mix it all into the mince. Serve with carrots & peas.
Do you have recipes that have been passed on from family members or friends?