In our house we began the tradition of making pancakes for dinner on Shrove Tuesday about 5 years ago. I planned to have this for dinner in the dinner planning column on our calendar back in January. Everyone has to have at least one pancake with a savoury topping before having any sweet toppings.
It has been a bit harder to try and make pancakes that are gluten and dairy free and to have a suitable gluten and dairy free topping. Here are my recipes that I developed last year.
Gluten and Dairy Free Pancakes
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 3/8 cup oil
- almond milk
- Mix all of the dry ingredients.
- Add eggs, coconut milk and oil. Mix well with electric beaters, add almond milk until you get a fairly thick but runny consistency.
- Pour a little oil into heated fry pan.
- Put in large spoons full of batter. Cook until the edges are crisp and bubble appear on the surface. Flip over with a spatula and cook for about 2 minutes more. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
Now for the savoury topping. This is what I did last year. You need the bacon, mayo & coconut milk but could add whatever vegetables you like. I’m going to add corn and onion to mine this year. My daughter who doesn’t even like coconuts did not realise that this had coconut milk in it.
Dairy Free Savoury Topping for Pancakes
- 2 rashers bacon
- 1/2 zucchini (courgette)
- 2 mushrooms
- 3 tbsp whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 or more tbsps coconut milk
- Fry bacon for a few minutes, add finely chopped zucchini & diced mushroom and cook for a further minute.
- Add the mayonnaise and stir. Add the coconut milk until the sauce is the right consistency. Cook for a couple of minutes to heat through.
- Spoon over the pancakes and serve.
Our favourite sweet topping is brown sugar with lemon juice. What is your favourite pancake topping?
Do you make pancakes on Shrove Tuesday?