Lasagna was one of my favourite childhood dinners. For my birthday dinner, whilst growing up, I would either choose lasagna or corned beef. I used to make this dish quite regularly as an adult until my son and husband both discovered their food intolerances.
I had worked out a dairy free white sauce but it was too tricky to find lasagna noodles that were gluten free but didn’t contain either soy or potato flour. So I would only make lasagna if either my husband or my son was away. Once or twice I attempted making my own lasagna noodles which were okay but time consuming.
Since discovering the grain free dough in the Life Changing Food cookbook, I’ve made lasagna a number of times. This dough is easy to make and so versatile, we use it for pasties, flat bread, pizza bases and lasagna noodles. It’s also easy to sub the ingredients and still have success. The last time I made it I ran out of almond meal, so just added some linseed meal to make up the quantity.
So my recipe for GF & DF Lasagna is below. My recipe is adapted from the recipe in Mothers’ & Others’ recipes called Sandra’s Best Lasagna (named after my mother’s friend who gave her the original recipe). So another recipe that is named after the person who gave it to us, like this one.
Gluten Free and Dairy Free Lasagna
- 1 onion
- few mushrooms
- 500g mince
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 410g can tomato puree
- 2tbsp tomato paste
- GF lasagna noodles
- 1tbsp dairy free butter
- 1 tbsp corn or tapioca starch
- 300ml almond/sunflower seed milk (or milk of choice)
- 50g grated Bio Cheese (or other dairy free cheese)
- 1 egg
- Saute onions, add mince and brown. Add mushrooms and stir through.
- Add garlic, oregano, tomato puree, tomato paste and pepper. Let simmer while making the cheese sauce.
- Preheat oven 200 degrees Celsius.
- Melt butter in microwave for about 1 min on medium heat. Stir corn or tapioca flour into the butter. Slowly add the milk, whilst stirring. Microwave 2 mins on high and then stir. Microwave for another 2 mins, until the sauce thickens. Add the cheese & nutmeg and stir through.
- Grease a dish approximately 30cm x 20cm.
- If using homemade lasagna noodles, roll out the dough thinly and cut to fit the dish.
- Place a small amount of meat sauce over base of dish. Cover this with a layer of lasagna noodles and half the meat sauce.
- Cover this with the cheese sauce, reserving about half a cup.
- Cover with another layer of lasagna noodles and the rest of the meat sauce.
- With a fork beat the egg into the reserved cheese sauce. Spread on top and sprinkle with a little more dairy free grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 mins, then reduce heat to 150 degrees Celsius and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with salad or vegetables.
Note: The original recipe has cheese slices added after the first layer of cheese sauce and after the second layer of meat sauce. I usually leave this out now but I believe that their are some dairy free cheese slices available now, so you can add this if you desire.
Do you have a favourite childhood birthday dish? Do you have a favourite lasagna recipe?
Do you have a dish that you used to make but due to food intolerances/allergies you can’t make it anymore? Let me help you find or adapt a recipe that you can enjoy again.