This is the question that my daughter posed to me this week. She was making a potato salad to take to uni for lunch. She wanted to boil potatoes, as well as hard boil some eggs to go into her potato salad. So as she was preparing to boil the potatoes she asked “Can I cook potatoes and eggs together?” I wasn’t sure of the answer but she thought why not and that’s what she did.
When I was writing this post I googled her question. A number of people have cooked potatoes & eggs together for years. A few people were concerned about bacteria from the egg shell but as others rightly pointed out, your boiling it so if there happens to be any bacteria it isn’t going to survive. So in answer to the question can you boil potatoes and eggs together, you certainly can.
Her potato salad was similar to my Potato Salad but she just used what was on hand. She made it with potato, eggs, bacon & chopped up spinach with whole egg mayonnaise.
Here’s her recipe:
Potato Salad with Egg, Bacon & Spinach
- 3 tiny potatoes (enough for 1 serve)
- 2 eggs
- 1 rasher of bacon
- handful of baby spinach
- mayonnaise to taste (approx 1Tbsp)
- Wash, peel and chop potatoes into bite size chunks.
- Place potatoes and whole eggs into a saucepan. Cover with warm water and bring to the boil. Boil for 5-10 mins until potato is cooked through and the eggs will be hard boiled. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Chop up the bacon and the spinach. Cook the bacon in a fry pan, add the spinach when the bacon is cooked and stir for about a minute. Drain on paper towel.
- Peel and chop the eggs.
- Refrigerate all cooked ingredients for about 15 mins to cool.
- Combine all the ingredient and stir in the mayonnaise.
The recipe was for 1 serve but you could easily increase it to make more.
What ingredients do you like to have in a potato salad?