Apparently it’s Chicken Month in September, among other things. We usually eat a meal with chicken in it once or twice a week. This week we’ve had Chicken Pot Pies and then used the same chicken mixture to make Chicken Pasties.
Other chicken dishes that my family enjoys include Grain Free Chicken Schnitzels with an almond coating, ‘KFC’ (Krispy Fried Chicken), homemade Chicken Nuggets, Marinated Chicken cooked on the BBQ and served with rice, shop bought BBQ Chicken served with potato gems or homemade chips & coleslaw, Creamy Tomato Chicken and Chicken Risotto. We often used leftover chicken in Fried Rice, on Homemade Pizzas, in a salad or on a sandwich. For more menu ideas with chicken check out my Menu Ideas page.
I’ve made Chicken Pasties a few times now, using the grain free dough from life changing food. The chicken filling is based a bit on the chicken mixture for my Creamy Chicken Pasta. This week I also used the chicken filling to make chicken pot pies with the grain free dough as the pastry on top (we ate them so quick I forgot to take a photo). I did write the recipe down at one stage but then couldn’t find it the next time I went to make it. However here’s a version of the recipe for the chicken filling:
Chicken Pie or Pastie Filling
- 500g chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 carrot
- other chopped vegetables of your choice eg. mushrooms, capsicum, zuchinni, peas, baby spinach
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- tsp ground turmeric (optional)
- grain free pastry or pastry of your choice
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Chop chicken into small bite size pieces. Chop onion, garlic, carrot and other vegetables.
- Cook chicken, onion and garlic in a fry pan, until chicken is browned and onion clear. Add other vegetables and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Turn down the heat on the fry pan. Mix the tapioca flour into the almond milk.
- Add the mayonnaise and the almond milk/tapioca flour mix to the pan and stir through. Add more milk if needed (you don’t want the mixture too runny though).
- Add the nutmeg & turmeric (if using) and mix through. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Roll out the dough ready to use for pot pies or pasties. If making pot pies grease the dishes you are using. Or line a baking tray with baking paper for the pasties.
- Place filling into dishes for pot pies and add prepared dough to the top of the dishes, trim edges & glaze with beaten egg. Or add mixture to prepared pastie dough, fold up and place on prepared tray and glaze with beaten egg.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden. Serve with vegetables or salad or enjoy on their own.
What chicken dishes do you enjoy making and/or eating?