There is very little take-away food that my husband can safely eat without having to worry about sulphites, in particular. A while ago we did have a Baja Steak bowl from a mexican take-away shop. We now make our own version of this at home.
My husband BBQ’s the steak which we then slice thinly and add over rice with lime juice & coriander, served with tomato, capsicum, onion & lettuce. Not quite like the original shop bought version but close enough & yummy.
- 3 pieces of grass fed rib fillet or other choice of steak
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp Lightly Dried Corianader
- 1/2 – 1 tomato
- 1 quarter red capsicum
- 1/2 red onion
- few lettuce leaves
- avocado (optional)
- Cook steak on the grill part of the BBQ to your liking.
- Meanwhile cook rice for 13 minutes in microwave rice cooker with 2 cups of water or cook rice using preferred method.
- While the steak & rice are cooking: Chop tomato, capsicum, onion & lettuce.
- Mix lime juice and coriander into the cooked rice.
- Slice up the cooked steak.
- Serve onto 4 plates starting with the rice, then add the chopped up ingredients on top of the rice, lastly add the steak.
- Add avocado if desired.
Have you made your own version of something that you’ve eaten while out & about?