My son likes these porcupine meat balls, however my daughter is not so keen on them. So when she wasn’t eating at home a few weeks ago I decided to make them. I usually combine a couple of recipes to make my porcupines so I thought that I should record how I make them. One recipe has cooked rice and one has uncooked rice, I usually use uncooked rice and they soak up much of the liquid as they cook. One cooks them in the oven & the other on the stove, since the stove top method is quicker I usually do it that way. One recipe had
evaporated milk and the other eggs, I use eggs. Both used tinned tomato soup which I’m a bit iffy about using for my husband because of the ingredients, so I use a tin of tomato puree instead.
Here is my recipe:
Porcupine Meat Balls
- 500g beef mince
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (114g) uncooked rice
- 1/2 tsp dried herbs
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 x 410g can tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- Mix mince, egg, rice, herbs, salt & pepper together.
- Mix the water with the tomato puree in a large saucepan and start to bring the mixture to the boil.
- Form the meat into balls and drop into the tomato puree.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and cook gently for 30 minutes.
- Serve with vegetables
What sort of meat balls do you like?