I originally developed this recipe a few years ago when I was trying to use up leftover chicken & ham from Christmas. I always make this with chicken but I only include the ham if I have some that needs using up. I often use store bought almond milk but when I made this last week I had no dairy free milk, so I quickly whizzed up some almonds and blended it with water to make a quick version of almond milk. I was rushing so much that I forgot to strain the nut milk, like I normally would. It made the dinner a bit crunchier but not too bad. I just put in whatever vegetables we have on hand at the time. Originally this recipe was dairy free but not gluten free. I now make it with gluten free pasta and no longer put breadcrumbs on top, to make it gluten free. Last week I also added some dairy free coconut cheese to the top, which melted nicely.
This week I’m linking up for Pasta Friday over at Chorizo & Thyme.
Creamy Chicken Pasta
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonaise
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 dessert sp cornflour
- 1 tspn mustard powder
- 1 tspn nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups cooked GF pasta
- 150g chopped ham (optional)
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 or 2 cups chopped vegetables of your choice
- 2 tablespoons dairy free cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
- Make up white sauce by combing first 5 ingredients and heating on low until it thickens. Take off heat.
- Grease an oven proof casserole dish. Combine pasta, ham, chicken and chopped vegetables in the dish.
- Add the eggs to the white sauce one at a time and stir well to combine. Add the sauce to the other ingredients and combine.
- Sprinkle with cheese if using.
- Cook in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
How do you use up leftover meat at your house?